Writer, meals lover, and traveler Jen Sotolongo is a whiz at whipping up vegan recipes that may be made simply as simply at a campsite as in a completely stocked kitchen. She not too long ago spent just a few years bike touring Europe and South America along with her accomplice, constructing recipes alongside the best way. Like this one for Mexican polenta. Easy, scrumptious, nutritious.
This dish comes collectively in a snap and is ideal for these lengthy days on the highway once you don’t need to cook dinner, however there’s nothing round and also you gotta eat. It took a number of months of seeing polenta on the grocery retailer cabinets all through Chile earlier than breaking down and shopping for some for our meals. I don’t have an aversion to polenta. In no way. I like polenta, however for some motive, I simply don’t cook dinner with it fairly often. However all that has modified now since I whipped up this Mexican Polenta Bowl whereas visiting Parque Patagonia, one in every of Doug Tompkins’ parks alongside the Carretera Austral in Chile.
Polenta is an ideal cycle touring meals. It’s filling. It’s fast to make. It’s versatile. Better of all, it comes collectively in a snap. A straightforward sauté of the veggies and 15 minutes cooking the polenta and dinner is prepared.
• Deliver water to a boil. As soon as it’s boiling, add the salt and olive oil.
• Add the polenta in a stream (as proven in picture), flip the warmth all the way down to low and stir regularly with a picket spoon. • • Cowl when not stirring and put together your greens in between stirring. I’m too impatient to permit the polenta to cook dinner for longer than 15 or so minutes, however if you wish to depart it for longer, it’ll get creamier.
• Put aside and canopy when you cook dinner your greens.
• Sauté onion, garlic, and sizzling pepper collectively in a pan. Stir regularly till onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
• Add the pepper and sauté one other Four-5 minutes.
• Add the cumin and chili powder and stir till the whole lot within the pan is coated, about 1 minute.
• Add the tomatoes together with the black beans and 1/Four – half cup of water and convey to a simmer. Let simmer for a couple of minutes till the tomatoes have launched a few of their juices.
• Serve over the polenta in a bowl and high with sliced avocado.