Soiled Gourmand is three ladies—Aimee Trudeau, Emily Nielson, and Mai-Yan Kwan—who got here collectively after a motorcycle tour throughout Canada. They put collectively a wide selection of camp meals, lots of which might be discovered of their cookbook of the identical title, with a number of completely different cultural and style influences. This recipe, from Emily, for decent, savory mushroom french dips is definitely ready over a campfire with a forged iron skillet.
At REI, the place I work, we put on title tags with our favourite out of doors place listed on them. Mine says “Joshua Tree Nationwide Park.” For the previous ten years, I’ve spent nearly all of my days off within the park tenting, climbing, mountain climbing, and meditating. There’s a quiet there that I haven’t skilled in lots of different locations. Not even the trickle of a operating stream, like after I’m backpacking within the mountains. I can normally discover a place to be nearly fully alone, and do precisely what we wish to do, whether or not it’s lively or passive.
Just lately I ended up backcountry tenting there, and it was one of the crucial stress-free nights I’ve had within the park. Sundown fading to a full moon, quiet, and with our personal private subject of untrampled wildflowers. We cooked these hearty mushroom french dip sandwiches, tailored from this recipe, on the grill at a day use space earlier than heading out so I didn’t have to hold a lot
In a jar, measure out all of the jus elements. Pack instantly so that you don’t overlook it. If you happen to’re utilizing bouillon plus water, these can nonetheless be put into the jar along with the opposite elements.
• Construct a campfire or begin your coals for the grill, and get some glowing embers.
• Place your forged iron skillet on the grate over medium-high warmth, and add the oil.
• As soon as the oil is scorching, add your sliced onions, and grill till softened and starting to brown, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
• Add mushrooms and proceed to grill till softened and beginning to brown as properly, one other 5 minutes.
• Add roasted pepper slices and chopped garlic, and prepare dinner till heated via, about 2 minutes.
• Pour the jar of jus over the greens, and prepare dinner till the liquid has diminished by half.
• In the meantime, slice rolls in half, and grill immediately on the grate till the within is toasted. Place a slice of cheese on every whereas scorching to begin it melting. Slather different facet with desired condiments.
• Take away the skillet of greens from the grate, and pour the liquid right into a small bowl for dipping. *If you happen to forgot a bowl, you may at all times pour it again into the unique jar.
• Scoop serving to of the mushroom combination onto the rolls.
• Dip every chunk into the jus.