Lately I accomplished a solo, self-supported bikepacking journey from Banff Nationwide Park, Canada, to Yellowstone Nationwide Park. My 825-mile route took 10 days and principally adopted the Nice Divide Mountain Bike Route—a sequence of backcountry gravel and forest service roads. To gas my coaching and the journey, I needed a bar that supplied power, but in addition supported restoration. The bar needed to be not too candy or salty, and a bit spicy. After a variety of experimentation, the Nice Divide Bar was born.
Eric Aakko is a licensed plant-based chef educator and backcountry bicycle owner. To attach together with his upcoming new cookbook, Clear Endurance: 100 Plant-based Recipes for Culinary Wellness, go to his web site, Talking Wellness.
1 cup puffed millet
1 cup pan toasted natural rolled oats
½ cup honey
½ cup dried tart cherries
¼ cup chopped uncooked almonds (non-obligatory)
¼ cup chopped uncooked walnuts
Three tablespoons almond butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon sea salt (to style)
Cayenne pepper (to style)
• Briefly pan toast the uncooked oats in a heated skillet for about 2-Three minutes. Stir usually, watch out to not burn the oats. Put aside in a bowl.
• Fold honey and almond butter right into a saucepan and stir on medium warmth till mixed and runny (about 1-2 minutes).
• Add the cinnamon, salt, and cayenne pepper and stir.
• Mix all remaining components with the honey and almond butter combination, together with the toasted oats. Stir till all dry components are coated. The combination will likely be thick.
• Line an eight X eight casserole dish with parchment paper that extends over twice the dimensions of the dish (minimize the perimeters of the paper to assist ease the folding).
• Utilizing clear arms or a wetted spoon, firmly press the combination into the dish till flattened. Fold the perimeters of the parchment paper on prime, to cowl the combination.
• Use a can of beans or different greens as a rolling pin to firmly compact the combination into the casserole dish.
• Cowl dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 hours (or in a single day).
• Uncover and minimize into 1-inch x 2-inch bars. Retailer bars in hermetic container within the fridge till prepared on your journey.