Wonderings: rambles by way of and reflections on journey… this month, James Kay evaluations a 12 months wealthy with alternative for the cash-strapped traveller © Joe Davis / Lonely Planet
Netflix. Espresso. Alcohol. Carbs. Intercourse. Earlier than you leap to any conclusions, this isn’t a abstract of my weekend. It’s what a gaggle of millennials mentioned they’d hand over for the prospect to journey the world at no cost.
Lonely Planet’s co-founder, Tony Wheeler, as soon as opined that the toughest a part of travelling was making that preliminary, at-the-cliff-edge resolution to go. However for the respondents on this survey, the toughest half gave the impression to be stumping up funds.
Embracing modern-day monasticism is a method of fixing the issue, I suppose, however a assessment of this 12 months’s journey information tales suggests an alternate strategy that doesn’t contain fairly a lot self-denial: working overseas.
Higher than harvesting kumquats
I hear you groan. However earlier than you progress on, I’m not speaking about educating English or being an au pair or mixing Mai Tais or harvesting kumquats, good although these gigs may be; I’m speaking about dream jobs, which crop up with stunning regularity.
In response to my sums, these fantasy roles appeared at a price of a couple of a month in 2018; optimistically, subsequent 12 months will throw up simply as many gilt-edged alternatives for the footloose and fancy-free.
Sceptical? I’d be. However take into account the next vacancies, all of them from the final 12 months:
* A journey company sought 4 daydreamers to observe the world go by from the consolation of their seashore chairs for a fortnight of maximum, but well-paid, idleness in Stockholm, Sweden. Candidates wanted to reveal a matchless skill to do candy FA.
* A worth comparability website recruited an adventurous retiree to jet off on a senior hole 12 months, an all-expenses-paid journey world wide designed to fill within the blanks on their bucket listing.
* The US was a contented looking floor for dream jobseekers. What may presumably be higher than trousering $10,000 to journey the States taking photographs? How about being paid the identical sum for troughing your approach throughout that nice nation searching for its finest barbecue?
Assume you could possibly deal with two days every week taste-testing Nutella? #niceworkifyoucangetit © P. Langen / Getty Pictures
* In Italy, in the meantime, the makers of Ferrero Rocher – nonetheless the ambassador’s go-to snack – actually spoiled us by searching for 60 (sure, 60) folks to turn into taste-testers of Nutella in Piedmont (which Lonely Planet lately named the very best area on this planet to go to in 2019).
* If drink trumped meals in your hierarchy of wants, there was an opportunity to turn into an envoy for Bombay Sapphire as an alternative. The mission? Go on a globe-trotting, gin-guzzling bender, following (unsteadily) within the footsteps of fictional explorer Phileas Fogg.
* Searching for one thing extra sober? The Bahama’s Baha Mar resort wished a professional chook nerd to take care of its flamboyance of flamingoes, whereas billionaire Richard Branson’s Necker Island was trying to find a brand new paper shuffler.
Hope springs everlasting
* The Caribbean wasn’t the one choice for a would-be castaway, although: a fancy resort within the Maldives wished a ‘barefoot bookseller’ to stalk the sand, whereas ailurophiles should have been purring with pleasure on the considered caring for 55 cats on the Greek island of Syros.
* If decamping to a desert island didn’t fulfill your stringent definition of getting away from all of it, there was nonetheless one excellent off-the-beaten-track alternative for these with sufficient flying hours: a job as a pilot for the key airline that flies out and in of Space 51 (you recognize, the place the US authorities preserve the aliens).
* Lastly, Santa couldn’t get sufficient little helpers in Finnish Lapland, which launched a recruitment drive for elves, reindeer wranglers and aurora chasers. Supplied you’re not left chilly by the considered temperatures as little as -50C, the place higher to hunt the spirit of Christmas?
What can we conclude from all this? That hope springs everlasting with regards to journey alternatives, I feel. So, buddy, in case your prolonged listing of recent 12 months’s resolutions options the seemingly incompatible injunctions to ‘journey extra’ however ‘spend much less’, don’t despair.
Giving up all the nice issues in life – okay, Netflix, espresso, alcohol, carbs and intercourse don’t represent a whole listing, however they’re shut sufficient – isn’t the one choice open to you; protecting a watch out to your dream job in 2019 may be a greater tactic.